Is global warming a big hoax? It’s constantly in the news and President Obama claims to be battling it, but does it even exist? This morning (Sept. 22, 2009) at the U.N. Climate Change Summit, President Obama said,
“We understand the gravity of the climate threat. We are determined to act. And we will meet our responsibility to future generations,” he said.
Obama warned that a failure to address the problem could create an “irreversible catastrophe.” Obama said time is “running out” to fix the problem but that, “we can reverse it.” source
According to the President, global warming may be an irreversible catastrophe if we fail to act! What should we do? Should we stop driving our cars and shut down our carbon emitting electrical power plants? Do we need to do something drastic because time is running out? Should we panic and start demanding that our politicians do something?
Maybe we should be asking some other, calmer questions first. Questions like– Is the Earth’s temperature rising or falling? If the temperature of the Earth is indeed rising or falling, is it man caused or is it natural? What is the ideal temperature of the Earth? What evidence are world leaders using to come up with their dire predictions about global warming? After answering these questions, we may be able to answer the biggest question of all… Is global warming a hoax?
It will take several postings to answer all of these questions, but in this post let’s examine the first one.
Is the Earth’s temperature rising or falling?
The answer to this question is not as simple as saying, “yes, it is rising” or “yes, it is falling”. The Earth’s climate is not constant but dynamic. This means that it naturally changes over time.
As you can see from this chart from WeatherQuestions.com, the temperature of the Earth over the last 2000 years has varied quite a bit. Has the Earth been warming recently? Yes, but according to the above chart, it was warmer during the medieval period than it is now. Could the Earth start a cooling trend? Possibly, it has happened in the past.
Many scientists have observed that in recent years the Earth has been cooling or at least stopped getting warmer.
As you can see in the above chart, recent temperatures have fluctuated like a roller coaster with a peak during 1998 attributed to El Nino. Since 2002, average temperatures appear to have stabilized and may be starting to fall. So, is the Earth warming or cooling? The answer could be both. Over the last 30 years, the Earth’s temperature has risen above and fallen below the average. The last reading, in August 2009, has the temperature only .23 degrees Celsius above the Earth’s temperature in 1979 while most of 2008 had below average temperatures.
Joe Bastardi of Accuweather.com believes the Earth has been cooling over the last 2 years.
(Thanks to Matt at the Conservative Hideout for bringing this video to my attention in one of his posts)
If we were heading towards, as the President calls it, an “irreversible catastrophe” wouldn’t we expect to see a chart with a steep climb in warming temperatures that would be indisputable? The climb in temperatures in the last few decades is comparable with previous rises in the Earth’s temperature, and according to Bastardi, the Earth’s temperature may now be cooling. This is a far cry from what is being bantered around at the United Nations Climate Change Summit.
Up next… If the temperature of the Earth is indeed rising or falling, is it caused by humans?
Get Forgotten Liberty by Email
- Female High School Student Forced to Change “Violent” NRA T-Shirt
- MSNBC Anchor Attempts to Sign up for Obamacare, Hilarity Ensues
- Father Writes Apology Letter to Down Syndrome Daughter Admitting He Originally Wanted an Abortion
- Terry McAuliffe to Push for New Gun Control Laws if Elected.
- Another Shining Example of Liberal Tolerance and Civility
- Monica Campbell on Mark Wahlberg Donates his Time to the Wounded Warrior Project
- 1001 Reasons Not To Vote For Obama | A Lot Of Coffee and Sleepless Nights on President Obama Insults Supreme Court, Alito Plays the Part of Joe Wilson
- 1,001 Reasons to Vote Against Barack Obama « Bobusnr on President Obama Insults Supreme Court, Alito Plays the Part of Joe Wilson
- Sunday Linkage: Facebook Friend Pics Edition Number 39 - Conservative Hideout 2.0 on Romney’s Pension vs. Obama’s Pension
- 1001 Reasons Not To Vote For Obama | Letting Freedom Ring on President Obama Insults Supreme Court, Alito Plays the Part of Joe Wilson