A New Orleans judge has ruled that the Obama administration acted in contempt by continuing to block new offshore drilling after a judge struck down the drilling moratorium. After the first ban was struck down, the administration instituted a second ban, then lifted it just before it too was about to be struck down. Even now there still appears be a de facto ban because the government has yet to approve any new offshore drilling. From Bloomberg.com,
Interior Department regulators acted with “determined disregard” by lifting and reinstituting a series of policy changes that restricted offshore drilling, following the worst offshore oil spill in U.S. history, U.S. District Judge, Martin Feldman of New Orleans ruled yesterday.
“Each step the government took following the court’s imposition of a preliminary injunction showcases its defiance,” Feldman said in the ruling.
“Such dismissive conduct, viewed in tandem with the re- imposition of a second blanket and substantively identical moratorium, and in light of the national importance of this case, provide this court with clear and convincing evidence of the government’s contempt,” Feldman said.
The Interior department has also been ordered to pay the legal fees of the group that originally filed the lawsuit against the drilling ban.
This is not the only time the Obama administration has ignored a federal judge’s ruling. During the last few days, the administration has been ignoring the Jan. 31 ruling of U.S. District Court judge Roger Vinson. Judge Vinson struck down the entire bill as unconstitutional, but the Obama administration is still implementing the bill. They may receive another charge of contempt by ignoring Judge Vinson’s ruling.
There appears to be a pattern developing. When a court rules against Obama, he continues doing the same activity that the court ruled against. For someone who is supposed to be a Constitutional Law professor, Obama doesn’t seem to realize how the separation of powers works in our form of government. Or maybe he understands completely and is refusing to obey the rule of law. If this is the case we have a very big problem.
Get Forgotten Liberty by Email
- 1001 Reasons Not To Vote For Obama | A Lot Of Coffee and Sleepless Nights on President Obama Insults Supreme Court, Alito Plays the Part of Joe Wilson
- Chauffagiste 94 on Is Global Warming A Hoax?
- 1,001 Reasons to Vote Against Barack Obama « Bobusnr on President Obama Insults Supreme Court, Alito Plays the Part of Joe Wilson
- Sunday Linkage: Facebook Friend Pics Edition Number 39 - Conservative Hideout 2.0 on Romney’s Pension vs. Obama’s Pension
- 1001 Reasons Not To Vote For Obama | Letting Freedom Ring on President Obama Insults Supreme Court, Alito Plays the Part of Joe Wilson